July 9, 2012

Week 18 in Linda Vista

So I am here now.  We have changes this week but we still don’t know what will happen with us.  The most logical would be that I will go but who knows?  They have been keeping the trainers with their newbies for sometimes 3 changes these days so we shall see.  Anyway, I am doing real good and I got a bunch of your dearelders this week so that was good.  I was laughing and my companion was like... what happened?   I enjoy the mail.  It has been a good week.  We at least made some progress in our numbers since the last week wasn’t our finest but the work continues.  It is weird not knowing what will happen this week but who knows?  Anyway, we played soccer and wrote in people’s notebooks this morning and then a member called to ask me if I would play the piano at a funeral today.  I was less than thrilled but I said yes.  We ate at Tip Top (the Nicaraguan KFC) for lunch and then headed over to the church.  I played the piano and it went well.  I realized I should have been more willing to say yes and not such a bum and act like it was a big deal but the piano got played and I felt good that I helped the people.  It was a man from the other ward in the building.  I was thinking about how there are lots of things the same here but then some things that are completely different, like the funeral.  Death happens everywhere, the gospel is the same everywhere, but it was different seeing the casket come to the church in the back of a work-type truck and the family come in on a big yellow school bus.  It wasn´t the nice hearse and cars, but you felt the same for the family. There were beautiful flowers and it was good. I felt good as the little American girl who played the piano in the funeral.  I don’t know them and they don’t know me but I felt good serving them today.  I have decided that I need to be more willing to do what is asked as I finish my mission.  I need to focus on the people more and not just do the work.  This will help us have more success.  Anyway, we went on divisions this week.  I was with the new American.  It was fun talking in English and being the one who sort of knows Spanish.  I was sort of reliving the beginning of my mission but it was fun.  On the way home we passed by this pizza stand/restaurant and I asked her if she wanted pizza.  She said ok so we bought a slice (it is less than 50 cents a slice).  When I told her companion that we ate pizza she was shocked because she doesn’t eat things in the street.  The pizza place is more of a restaurant and since I was doing it, she followed me. A similar thing happened once before with her when I ate some fruit and told her to too.  I guess she trusts me.  We had a few people in church yesterday.  One man that we have been working with for a while (who is like the twin of Mr. Boscia at Poston) finally came.  That made me happy.  Sometimes the work is a slow process but to finally see him at church was worth it.  I am glad that Dad had a good birthday.  I can’t believe it’s already July again.  I have been here in Linda Vista 4 months now and next Monday I hit 16 months...crazy.  I need to make the most of these last 12 weeks and give it all I´ve got.  I can’t wait to see you again but to think about the getting back to the real world is weird and sort of nerve-wracking.  No, it will be all good.  I am happy here and doing well.  I know this is the work of the Lord and this was another great decision of my life along with going to BYU- Hawaii.  Well, mahalo.  Yo sé que el evagelio es verdadero.  Les amo muchisimo.  Love your nica daughter, alc 

P.S.  Elena, I drank Fanta today, too, but it was Fanta red not orange... gotta live that up while I still can.  I will look for Elder Garn’s talk in the Liahonas we have in the house.  Mom, the girl that says she is your daughter always asks about you and when are you going to visit her. J  Next week who knows where I will be e-mailing from.  Happy 13 months on Sunday Lenny.  I am doing real good and don’t know what will happen this week but it will all turn out as it should.  I love you so much and hope you have a fantastic week.  I love my favorite forever family.  You are the bestest. I better get going.  Love, alc


No comments: