June 18, 2012

Linda Vista week 15 and 15 to go

So, I am here now.  We went to lunch at El TORO with carne asada...mmm...a plate of gallo pinto (rice and beans), tajadas (plantains in potato chip form), and meat.  I have learned to eat whatever is in front of me.  I just eat it- but it was really good.  It was cool that the place is called the toro since I love toros.  Anyway, life is good here.  We have had a decent week but didn’t have many people at church.  We need to bring a family this week.  That’s what we are hoping for.  We had a multi-mission conference on Friday with Elder Maynes of the seventy.  It was really good.  I enjoyed seeing Hermana Pastran’s sister too.  The wife of Elder Maynes does well for not being a trained Spanish speaker.  They served as mission president in Mexico in '89-'92.  She did good with her español.  He talked about real growth in the church or that if we baptize 4000 the attendance should go up 4000 but that isn’t the case.  Anyway, he talked about the people being converts, not baptisms, so that they will stay. He told a cool story about a town in the mission in Mexico where he sent 2 missionaries and how they had found a family of about 40 and baptized them all. The dad/grandpa had found the Book of Mormon 27 years earlier but didn’t know where it came from.  He read it with his family and knew it was true but lost it.  Then every time people from churches came to his door he asked them if they had another book about Jesus Christ and when He came to the Americas.  Finally 27 years later the missionaries showed up and could answer his question.  There was an article about them in the Liahona and it should be called El Milagro de La Paz or The Miracle of La Paz.  The Book of Mormon has power and we need to use it so the people become converts not just baptisms.  He told the same story at the stake conference we had yesterday and it was really good.  I just was disappointed because we only had 2 youth there as investigators but we will hope for better results this week. I also did divisions with another hermana this week. She is one of the sisters newly called to train/supervise the sisters. I knew her from Rivas/Jinotepe and she is cool and we had a fun time. I am real unsure about changes in 3 weeks. I would like to stay but logically I would be the one to go. We shall see.  Anyway, I am doing well. I can’t believe I have 15 months with 3 to go. Last June I thought to myself I have 3 months and 15 to go and in one year it will be the other way around. Crazy how fast the year has gone.  Well, I love you so much and Elena is right... right now I don’t know what I am being prepared for but I know I am being prepared for something, if nothing more than how to deal with the challenges of life and to keep going with a smile.  I know this is the work of the Lord. I love being a missionary.  Too soon, I will be back into the thick of life.  It is weird to think about how much things have changed and the things I don’t know how much they have changed - weddings, babies, music, movies.....it will be weird getting back to real life.  But right now I am in the work of eternal life.  Also a random thing - l found in the dictionary this week the word "clodhoppers" - en español - "zapatos fuertes de trabajo" or strong shoes for work.  Funny! J I really can’t wait to wear my clogs and white socks again. 15 weeks...crazy how fast that will go. I was thinking today how cool it would be to be Lenny’s companion for a day but that will be after the mission every day.  I am doing great. I hope all is well in AZ.  I will try to write some letters today but we will see. I love you tons. Have a great week.  Remember to keep my nica flag up por favor.  Yesterday an old North American missionary was visiting at stake conference.  He went home 9 months ago.  I can’t wait to be with you 3 visiting my Nicaragua sometime next year.  Well, adios until next week.  Have a fantabulous week.  You are the bestest family on Earth. I am happy you had a good Father’s Day.  Love, alc

No comments: