July 21, 2011

Pictures from the DR!




Hi, We just got back from a little outing to a museum. The temple is closed for the next couple of weeks. We thought we were going to have class but they told us last night that we were going to a museum. It was the Museo del Hombre Dominicana - I think. It is super hot and sweaty and there wasn't air conditioning in the museum, but it was still fun to get out and about. We walked by the American Embassy - the consular section - not sure if that is different, but it was fun to see the flag behind the gates. Things are good here at the MTC and I only have 3 full weeks left. We are scheduled to head out on Aug. 16th and we hear that we'll pretty much be out in the field that day once we meet with the mission president and get our assignments. Pretty crazy. So the mail I've gotten so far has been dearelders. I bet we have some today but I haven't gotten them for this week yet. Mary sent one to the mission but they brought it over with some other mail yesterday. I think I know Kim's companion. There aren't that many people, but the girl I'm thinking of is Alice. I don't remember her last name, but she was from Hong Kong and was in the Poli Sci program. That's cool. She would probably remember me. On Friday, I marked the one month mark of being on the mission! We went out for a couple of hours to a university nearby and did some contacting. We did pretty well considering our limited Spanish skills. We probably talked to 15 people and gave some of them pamphlets. I wasn't 100 percent sure how to answer people when they asked questions and I couldn't figure out what people were saying sometimes, but it was a good experience. I think we are doing the same thing tomorrow. So, on Sunday, a couple of the elders started having some stomach issues. On Monday, it seemed like most of the Americans were not feeling so hot, but I've been doing good. My stomach has felt a little weird, but no major issues especially considering I've got a Cottam stomach – that’s fairly sensitive. :) The president's wife said that with all the carbs and stuff usually by the 2nd week people start feeling the effects but by the 3rd everyone is good. I think everyone is doing better now and not having much problem. Also, on Sunday we watched a DVD devotional from Provo by Elder Bednar and I'm pretty sure I saw Chessy singing in the choir. So that was fun. I thought she might be in the choir so I scanned the choir during the musical number looking for her. :) After the devotional, we took another afternoon nap. :) Sweet. On Monday we did service - we bagged up the grass at the temple since they are redoing some of the landscaping. I worked with one of the Haitian sisters. It has been great being here with them, even though we can't communicate much - but we can always do service together not matter what language we speak. :) The Hermanas got here last Thursday and it has been good being with them. One is our old companion and the other was on my flight from PHX. She's from Gilbert and it is fun to talk about Arizona stuff. I was thinking the other day that it's been over a year and a half since I graduated from BYU-H. Craziness. Time is so weird. It doesn't seem that long ago, but then again I've done a lot of stuff since then. I love you all so much. You are the bestest! Love, Elena


No comments: